Help, What is happening!???Distended belly, walking funny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickymomma, Mar 23, 2009.

1. chickymomma

chickymomma New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a nine month old Wyandotte hen that I found in the corner of the coop this am. She was belly up to the corner and no one was bothering her. I gathered her and brought her in. Her bottom was gross so I washed the mud and poo off. She feels like her abdomen is hanging low. Is this egg binding at what do I do. Had the same problem with a Australorp a couple of weeks ago. She is now gone to chicky heaven.

Please advise.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    She could be egg bound or has laid internally. Clean her bottom by letting her soak in warm water, this will also help if she is eggbound. Keep her in a warm environment in the house if you can. Make sure she is eating and drinking. Offer her some plain yogurt. Lubricate her vent with vaseline or mineral oil. Hope she will be ok. Good Luck.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    If at all possible, get her to an avian vet quickly.

There are so many questions but she may need expert help before we can sort through it all. Since you had the same problem with another bird so recently and the outcome was very bad, time is likely of the essence here.

What is her diet?
    Has she been laying eggs and do you know when the last one was?
    Is she eating?
    Have your birds been wormed?

Etc. Etc...

4. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Also, edit your post title to include description of problem - this will help people help you faster. "Help - hen down, belly distended, bum a mess" or some such descriptive message -
    JJ

5. chickymomma

chickymomma New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    She is feed layer pellets and cracked corn for scratch a couple times a week. It is hard to tell with twenty something who lays, when ten look the same. Hadn't noticed any problems until this am.

Will contact the entension service to see who tests for avain.

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:? Not sure what you mean but hopefully they will know a bird (avian) veterinarian in the area. If you post what general area you live in, others on BYC may have recommendations of vets in your area.

JJ

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  7. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Chickymomma, I had the same problem with a red star a few weeks back and maybe my posts from that would be helpful to you. Here's the link
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=138126

I hope something in here will be helpful to you. My red star didn't make it but I sure gave it all I had. We don't have an avian vet in my area and our finances do not allow for that so I treated her the best that I could. If you can afford an avian vet I would say go for it. That is probably your best bet. Hope all goes well for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by