Help what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swsscott, Feb 8, 2014.

1. swsscott

swsscott Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2014
    So I bought this chicken at the flea market and I don't know what it is. I am also curious if its a rooster or not I think its a hen but I here it crow sometimes. I plan on buying a few chickens and hopefully it will get along with them I'm thinking about getting some silkies. Also if you know the age that be great. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. swsscott

Feb 8, 2014
    [​IMG] another picture

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    He is definitely a rooster. The person selling him should have know and told you.

My guess is a mixed breed. And he looks young to me maybe 20-24weeks old maybe a little older, def under a year, but that is a guess.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. swsscott

Feb 8, 2014
    How do you know he is a rooster? I guess its fitting since we named him The Jesus

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    He has hackle and saddle feathers and splotchy color pattern that females don't get. He also has the long sickle feathers growing in.

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I thought I saw spurs on him but I think its his 4th toe. I his age may even be a little younger like 16-20 weeks.

What info did the seller give you?

7. swsscott

Feb 8, 2014
    Haha thanks for the info. do you think it will get along well with silkies or should I find him a new home I'm pretty new to this but I built a coop and plan on getting 3 to 4 hopefully hens this time. Or is there breed that would be better that I should look into?

8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Im not sure. I personally wouldn't put a Large Fowl rooster in with Silkies. For one the size difference is great and also Silkies don't fly or roost so he would roost alone while the Silkies piled up on the floor to sleep. Also Silkies have what is similar to a soft spot on newborn babies, a hole in the skull that remains open and with one hard swift peck to the head it could kill a Silkie, not t say your rooster would. But with mating he may accidentally while grabbing her to mate. If it were me I would get rid of him if it was indeed Silkie hens you wanted, if your open to other breeds you could keep him and ad a few Large breed hens for him.

9. swsscott

Feb 8, 2014
    [​IMG] I saw these red hens at the local feed store would they be large enough. I don't want to get rid of him but I do want some chickens for the eggs. This is a little disappointing. Hmm should he stay or should he go.

10. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Yes the red hens would be a great size for him and they will lay way more eggs than SIlkies would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by