1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP !! What is that pus and crystals about??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by black404, Jun 25, 2008.

1. black404

black404 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Tomorrow is my due date and I seem to think that the eggs are rockin' a little, but one egg has a pus spot on the top of it and seems to be having more on the underside of the pointed end...

What shall I do? Wait or toss?

Black404

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Pus??? Hav eyou candled the eggs? Do they have a funky smell?? I am just worried you haev a bad egg there and it is ozzing on you. That is bad..........give us some more info when you get a chance.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i never seen that happen before.. i don't really what to tell you on that one cuz my eggs are on day 18 and moving as well.. maybe someone else will have an answer for you [​IMG]

4. black404

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I candled on day 7 and 14, but since this is my first time....(obviously, huh) I didn't knowwhat I was looking for.

I seemed to see a dark mass of something and I could clearly see the air sac... but, all else was a blur to me and didn't look like any pic that I have seen.

So what do you think?

I am not beyond just tossing it, my feeling wont be hurt because my hens lay daily.

Black404

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like a seeping egg. I had one do that in my wiperbator. I would toss it, to be on the safe side, as the bacteria can kill the others. And we don't want to talk exploding eggs.

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I second that....they shouldnt seep at all. Black blurry masses could be bacteria in the egg. At day 21, the whole egg should be black with a small clear air cell at one end.

7. black404

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks...

that mission will be accomplished in two seconds.

8. black404

May 3, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Hey Guys,

I just got it out and candled it and I see a slight movement inside and all else black with the exception of the big end...

Still do you think that I should crush it?

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    If it is movin' its a keeper

10. froggy

froggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    dickson,tennessee
    if it is moving keep it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by