Help! WHAT is this?? Graphic photo!

Chicklette 1

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Kentucky
I found my hen, who has been a great egglayer, sitting in the corner on the poop board. Upon examining her I found a mess of what I think was dark dried blood and the little pocket of skin at the bottom was filled with MAGGOTS! I took her inside the house and washed the area well and got all the maggots out. She seems to want to eat so I thought I would give her a chance. The tissue in the center and around the edges of this opening are very leathery. Any one ever see anything like this? I have her in a cage with food and water and I will watch her. Any ideas anyone??

That would be an open wound....

Don't suppose you have a vet as a friend do ya? Do you have anti-boitcs on hand?? I would start giving her those ASAP and would bandage that up real well. If i was you i would poor hydrogenprioxide on it but not sure if that would harm it or not.

That would be an open wound....
Don't suppose you have a vet as a friend do ya? Do you have anti-boitcs on hand?? I would start giving her those ASAP and would bandage that up real well. If i was you i would poor hydrogenprioxide on it but not sure if that would harm it or not.
hp wouldn't hurt it. I've heard people say it will, but my friend does it all the time.

I'm new to some of this stuff, I'm not sure what it is - but, I would definitely pour some hp on it - it can't do any worse than it is now!! Although it might hurt for a minute...that being said, it probably hurts right now.

well , the maggots actually are eating rotting flesh, so normally this will not happen to a wound since it will start to heal and white blood cells will swarm the area.causing puss or scabbing, but this looks like a spider bite to me.got recluse in your neck of the woods? I certainly would have a vet look at it, antibiotics may help. Joe

Back
Top Bottom