help! what is this horrible thing on my chickens food?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alibra, Nov 12, 2014.

1. alibra

alibra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Help! I just noticed this the other night. 2 or 3 days ago I cut it open trying to drain it, but I couldnt get any pus out of it. I put iodine ointment on it and wrapped it today I opened it up again & this is what it looks like: [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like either an infected wound from an injury, or perhaps a tumor. You might try some daily warm epsom salt soaks to clean and soften up the crusted area, and apply the ointment after each soak. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Tumors can be common in chickens, and especially with Mareks which causes other symptoms, as well.

3. alibra

alibra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    i hatched her at home, never did the vaccine.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most of us don't vaccinate chicks we hatch at home for Mareks unless there has been an outbreak in the past. With hatchery chicks I always opt for the vaccine. Feather footed birds are more difficult to care for because it is hard to see what's under there until it is advanced. If this is an infection, then antibiotics may be in order. A vet would have the best ones if you have a good relationship with one, but feed stores carry a few that might help--procaine penicillin G for shots, and Gallimycin (erythromycin) may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by