HELP!!!!!!!! what is this???? what do I do about it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Prissy19, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Prissy19

Prissy19 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    corpus christi, texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Looks to me like either dry fowl pox or pecking/fighting injuries. You don't need to do anything about either really. Fowl pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes. The lesions go away without attention in about 3 weeks, and the chicken is then immune for life. The only problem is when the lesions become infected with bacteria, especially if there are a lot or they are near the eye. Those don't look like they will cause him any problem. Rarely, they get lesions in the mouth or trachea, called wet pox, which is much more serious.

It's really a little late in the year for fowl pox, but if you still see mosquitoes around, it could be this.

1 person likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  4. Prissy19

Sep 29, 2013
    corpus christi, texas
    Recently the alpha rooster exiled this guy. They are brothers and grew up together. So I did think it was pecking wounds. I just wanted to make sure its nothing serious. All of the chickens, roosters, and ducks are our babies.

5. Prissy19

Sep 29, 2013
    corpus christi, texas
    [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, you may have two things going on there, scabs from injuries and a yeast or fungus, the white stuff. The linked thread above mentions several suggestions for people meds. I particularly liked the suggestion of spraying with a white vinegar solution. Makes all kinds of sense, if it's that particular yeast/fungus/whatever. It shouldn't hurt to try 2 or 3 things til something works, and since the vinegar option is probably in your cupboard....

There are a lot of remedies out there that might work. Northerners who move to Florida and get a fast, deep tan often develop white patches on their skin, which locals will tell you is a fugus. They cure is to rub Selsun Blue shampoo into the spots like a cream.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The more I look at your second picture, I think you do have favus as well as the peck wounds. Most sites I have seen recommend Lotrimin or Tinactin fungus cream or spray in the first aid aisle at WalMart or drug stores.

8. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    Looks to me like an injury. It's not all over the comb. 90% looks good. This looks like another roo got him or he scratched it against something. I wouldn't panic on no disease, unless it get's worst and there is no other contact from a roo.,.

I would not rule out fowl pox, but if it is, it's not one of the bad cases.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  9. Prissy19

Sep 29, 2013
    corpus christi, texas
    I have put him in a cage now instead of letting him free roam. I sprayed him down with water and no it don't look like its getting worst but I will get some medicine and put it on just in case.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Be sure and wash your hands or use gloves if it isfavus since it is contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by