Help-What is this yellowish discharge??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by s6bee, May 14, 2008.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I went out to feed the girls as usual and I noticed that my one hen's "Bawk" sounded a little funny. Then I noticed that it appears as if the side of her head has a yellow tinged something smeared in her head feathers. There is also a tiny yellow hardended bead on her beak by the nostil. My guess is that she has something brewing, I really don't have anything set up right now to seperate her ( I can get something going tonight ). I have Polysol vitamins, and Terramycin at home, what do you suggest. She is my most skittish and I can't seem to catch her to get a better look. Can I put something in the water and treat everyone too? Otherwise she's eating and seems fine.

2. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Any suggestions? If I do Terramycin what is the ratio per gallon water?

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi do you think she may have eaten an egg??
    I would watch if for awhile, she how she acts before starting any meds.

4. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I don't think so, there is no evidence of an egg anywhere.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    If you decide to start the antibiotics, make sure you give it to them for the full week to avoid developing any strain resistance. Mine are on it now b/c one of my hens has a sinus infection...she is being treated with Tylan, the others terramycin @ 1 T per gallon.

6. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Ok great that was one of my next questions. BTW-she's MUCH better.

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Glad to hear your girl is doing better. Did you ever pinpoint what the yellowish stuff was that was on her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by