1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! What is this?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pooderpie77, Aug 20, 2013.

1. pooderpie77

pooderpie77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    I got this bird from my dad who got it from someone who has chickens. He had several of these guys to but they got picked off by a hawk. All my dad knew was it is a quail of some sort. Does anyone know what type it may be and if it could be a female or male. It is all red. No white feathering at all. Thanks![​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  3. pooderpie77

pooderpie77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    It does look very similar! Thanks for the input. I thought it looked like the pictures I found of the Tennessee Red Quails.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. Veer67

1 person likes this.
  5. Veer67

He /she could be a Tennessee Red quail too.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Shape of the beak says coturnix quail. Cots have hook style beaks and bobwhites are more cone shaped

1 person likes this.
  7. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    It looks just like two I was given that were ID'ed on here as tibetan coturnix. The do look a bit similar to the Tennessee Red quail which was why I asked too. The beak definitely makes a difference.

8. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    A better photo that includes the front of the quail (face and breast) would help better identify which type of quail that you have in your hand.
    James

9. lewee

lewee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    thats a red quail, as far as visibly sexing them goes, the only way i know is to have them in a group, after a while the males will start gettin bald heads due to the females riding them, for "attention"

10. bingrancher

bingrancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    i think they were asking what type of quail it is and you got it backwards the females will have the bald spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by