1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! What is wrong with my BR?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sharwig, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Sharwig

Sharwig Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    I have a Barred Rock that has pretty much lost all her feathers and her skin is bright red and warm to the touch. At first we thought maybe she was molting but she's been like this for at least a couple of months and seems to be getting worse, not better. Because of the stress, she's developed a good case of worms which we started treatment for. She otherwise seems healthy; eating, drinking, running around like normal. I've spent hours watching our flock of 8 and haven't noticed anyone pecking at her. Any idea what is wrong or how to treat? I took this pic last night after giving her an epsom salt bath and she's now sporting a lovely saddle to protect her bare skin. [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked for lice, and mites?

3. Sharwig

Sharwig Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2017
    Yes, we check our birds regularly for them and have seen no signs of anything like that...and none of the other hens seem to be affected. We've tried no-peck solution, treating for vent gleet, etc, but nothing seems to help her. As mentioned above, we gave her a bath in epsom salt yesterday (she loved it!) and I put a saddle on her back to discourage pecking if that's the problem, but I really don't think it is. She still lays a couple times a week, but not consistently. Any other ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by