Help! What is wrong with my rooster's vent area?

umanduhbree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Lacona, IA
Today while we my DH and I were cleaning out our coop, my chickens were going to town on our sunflowers, and having a great time eating the seeds. I just happen to look over and see Alpha Roo's back side as he bent over to get some seeds. That's when I noticed that below his vent was a large patch of red. So once they were all in the coop half asleep we snuck in and checked out his vent. The vent looks fine, but under it all the skin is inflamed. It looks like a patch of red blisters. I looked for mites, but can't see any evidence. He's been acting just like the Alpha he is, and I can't find any information about this on line. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on? Or even where I should start to get this solved? I have 26 other chickens and haven't noticed anything with the others.

102695_mail-1.jpeg

102695_mail-2.jpeg

Thanks in Advance.

Wow..that is odd looking! Did you try a google search? It almost looks like a bunch of little boils! Do you have some Neosporin (no pain killer in it)? I'd put that on there tonight..can't hurt. And see if someone on here knows what it is!

I spent over an hour googling looking for this on some other bird, but I can't find anything that looks like this, or a description matching this.

Back
Top Bottom