HELP!!! What is wrong with my roster? ):

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesssaye, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jesssaye

jesssaye Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    I went out to let my chickens out today, & he his waddle & comb are like pink/white! The other ones aren't like that. It's about 30 degrees out. HELP PLEASE

2. jesssaye

Mar 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is him. He's a Rhode Island red

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Check his crop in the morning to see if it is full; hard or watery. Does the bird feel as though he's lost weight? Is the bird emitting warmth like a healthy chicken should? What do you feed/supplement in the bird's diet? Have you ever dewormed your birds or treated for Coccidiosis, and if so, how often, what were the dosages of named products and lengths of treatment?

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Along with Michael's questions, does he act sick?

5. jesssaye

Mar 22, 2014
    He was eating fine & walking around like normal! He doesn't feel like he has lost weight.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I would start with worming. Then watch his poops.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Weather, intestinal parasites, and incomplete nutrition can all cause anemic symptoms such as paleness. Start supplementing water with a good quality poultry vitamin and probiotic. Dawe's Stresseez Plus or Vitamins, Electrolytes "Plus" are both quality brands used at .25 tsp per gallon of water. Use in water 5 days a week the first week, then 3 days a week from then on. For poultry vitamins exclusive of probiotics, I recommend the use of Probios dispersible powder. A dosage of 1 tsp once a week is very beneficial.

It wouldn't hurt to deworm your birds if you haven't done so, like Enola mentioned. Moist environments can increase the population of intestinal worm eggs and the vectors which carry them. Valbazen (Albendazole) is an effective wormer against the most common worms. Dosage is .08 cc per pound of bird given orally with a 1 ml syringe (no needle). A dosage of .50 cc for a 5 lb bird is an example. Dose once, then again 10 days later.

Make sure the bird is getting a good quality formulated feed. B vitamins are lacking in many formulated feeds, so adding 1 tsp of nutritional yeast per lb of feed helps. You can lightly moisten feed with wheat germ oil at 4 tsp per pound of feed, then add the nutritional yeast powder so it adheres to feed while mixing it up. Twice a week 3 days apart is good during moult or once a week while not in moult. Lewerstim is also a vitamin B-rich liver support supplement used in water. Some birds run deficient in vitamins during and completing moult, so it is always good to supplement during moult until feathers have grown in. Weather stresses also require vitamin supplementation. It keeps their immune systems strong.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  8. jesssaye

Mar 22, 2014
    Do you think he could be like frost bitten? I remember about half a week- a week ago I saw I was missing one looked around never found him & then I saw him next morning with frost on his back

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't think he has frost bite. Have you considered worming him??

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did you have any fowl pox back when your temperatures were warmer, and mosquitoes were out? He looks to have some faded pox scabs on his comb and wattle, and also around his eye. I suppose they could be peck marks too, if you didn't notice any pox. I would agree with the rest that I would worm him, since his comb looks very pale. You could also give him some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell vitamins 1-2 ml daily by mouth. Valbazen is what I would use for deworming, since it gets all chicken worms, even the rare ones. I would give him 3/4 ml orally if he is a big boy, and repeat in 10 days. Here are some links for it, if you can't find it locally:
    http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_24&products_id=29
    http://www.kvsupply.com/valbazen-su...3&cadevice=c&gclid=CJDloo6j_sICFWsF7Aod9RMAug

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by