1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! What just killed my daughters pet chickens???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jensp, Jul 23, 2008.

1. jensp

jensp New Egg

Jul 23, 2008
    Hi, We have five 6month old hens. They are VERY tame as my daughters have raised them and play w/ them daily. They are free to roam our yard and always stay w/ in a few hundred feet of their coop. These chickens are in every night by 6pm and let out around 9am.

My daughters let them out around 9am. At 9:30am I glanced out the window - they were feasting on the usual tasty bugs.

9:40 went outside and saw 5 large piles of yellow feathers. Our hen was gone - no sign of her around, no tracks, no blood. NOTHING.

As we started looking around more my daughter stumbled up another location full of feathers. There were 3 large piles of black feathers. This attack was roughly 150 feet from the first attack. Same thing. Feathers all over - no hen, no tracks, no blood. NOTHING

We found the other three safe high up in an evergreen.

So I"m wondering what would attack at this time of day? What kind of attack could take place in 10 minutes. I never heard a thing. And how could both chickens be gone and the attacks take place roughly 150 feet apart? There are no feather trails in sight.

My 5 year old daughters are so upset as they worked so hard w/ these and we want to make sure we can keep the others safe.

We live in Eastern Kansas.

Anyone out there have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks!!!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Dog

Coyote

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Hawks, coyote, fox?

4. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    No bright ideas, but so sorry for your loss. Do they have a secure, fenced run? Might want to keep them in a run for the time being.

5. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    [​IMG]

I am SO SO SORRY!
    But you can't leave your chickens looose or this will always happen. Any animal could have done it.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I agree with the above... it could have been a dog, fox, coyote or hawk. I'd lock them up or put them in a run.

7. Salve&Fluffer

Salve&Fluffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Sorry that your chickens were attacked. I think it might have been a bird of prey. They would swoop down and take the chickens to its nest{if it had babies}. It one time happened to us too. [​IMG]

8. TheChicInnKeeper

TheChicInnKeeper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Could also have been an owl. Some are very large and perfectly capable of taking a chicken in a flash. I heard about 1 snatching up a yorkie!

Sorry about your little girl's chickies....

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Bird of Prey...

10. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I agree, a hawk or owl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by