Help..what killed my duck?? Warning: Graphic

Micailawalsh

Hatching
Dec 20, 2022
Any help is welcomed! I recently got 2 ducks. I have a small pond in my backyard with a doghouse that I turned into a little coop for nights. I went out in the backyard around 10am to find one of my ducks missing. After walking around a found a pile of feathers with small amounts of blood about 50-80ft from the pond (the ducks never leave the pond area). There was only a small amount of feathers given the size of my duck. He was full grown. I continued the search for more clues. I then found the body of my duck hid in a pile of leaves under a bush. His head and neck were torn off and from what I could see there were no other marks on the body. What could have done this?? I now only have one duck and he is having trouble adapting as the two have been together since birth. Would really appreciate some advice

Attachments

• 02BB87BB-7FA1-4370-96F3-2A031ABA7C32.jpeg
    02BB87BB-7FA1-4370-96F3-2A031ABA7C32.jpeg
    832.9 KB · Views: 60
If the body was buried under a pile of leaves, I disagree that it was a raccoon. I would be more inclined to think it was a feline like a bobcat or possibly a fox. Both animals will cache their food. Raccoons don't generally do that.

Back
Top Bottom