1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! What sex is my (supposed) Easter Egger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emily1885, Nov 18, 2015.

1. emily1885

emily1885 New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    This is Dale, Jr. 'He' is supposed to be an Easter Egger. 'He' was also supposed to be a she. 'He' is about 2 & 1/2 months old. Dale has always been super aggressive and very
    spastic [​IMG]

and picks on the other girls and looks nothing like them. 'He' has a very small hint at a comb and nothing else. The other day I was watching him and he puffed up and did a very pronounced Rooster call. I also have a Welsummer Rooster of the same age who has full comb and wattles and is super calm. That guy, to my knowledge, hasn't made any noise like Dale does. I don't know what to think of Dale. Is 'he' really a he or just a very aggressive girl taking on the role of the male? Please help!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm leaning towards cockerel, could you get a better shot of the tail feathers and comb?

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Oh and [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He actually has a very well developed comb for his age. Easter Eggers usually have pea combs, and they don't get as tall as single combs. It's hard to be sure, but I think I see some male saddle feathers already. If you can re post the picture so that it can be enlarged when clicked on, it would help, but I'm pretty sure that's a boy.

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Yes, Dale jr, appears to be cockerel, and he is definitely an Easter Egger which is a generic ''breed'' of chicken, so varies a lot color wise, which is probably why he doesn't look like your other EE's. Good luck with your flock!

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a cockerel to me.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'd guess cockerel

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm thinking cockerel as well. :eek:(

9. emily1885

emily1885 New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    Thank you everyone and thank you for the warm welcome! This site has really helped me in my first foray as a chicken mommy! I truly appreciate the input! The verdict is in and we have a boy! I'll try to post better pictures of Dale, but I'm not the most tech savvy, it may take me a moment! I'm really not suppose to have males in my neighborhood, and even though he's a handful, we love him so much and cannot imagine not having him around!

10. emily1885

emily1885 New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    Thank you for the info, June! It's I did not know that about the combs on EE's. There is so much information out there, it's overloading my brain! I like that I can come here now and just ask my questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by