Help what she got?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hotdog, Aug 28, 2010.

1. hotdog

hotdog New Egg

May 27, 2009
    I have a hen that quit laying, turned pale including its comb. She has been picked in the rear by the other chickens. She is heavy just sits around. Can anyone help?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Pale comb is normally a sign of anemia. Does she have lice or mites? Check really well as they can hide. When was she last wormed? Any other symptoms?

3. hotdog

hotdog New Egg

May 27, 2009
    yes she is just laying around, still eats,clear eyes

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you said she has quit laying....

Is she an older chicken or could she be egg bound?

5. hotdog

hotdog New Egg

May 27, 2009
    she is 18 months old, how can I tell if she is egg bound? how do I help her?

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:when was the last time she laid an egg? at 18 months she should still be laying about 1 egg a week if not more..( **some exceptions may apply... breed health ect)

gently feel around her vent... glove one hand and lube your finger and gently penetrate the vent (just the tip of your finger) feeling for a hard mass indicating an egg

if you feel something hard she may be egg bound.. warm baths and lube her vent to allow the egg to pass..

what breed is she?

7. hotdog

hotdog New Egg

May 27, 2009
    rhode island red

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You said she is "heavy". She may be laying internally, if her abdomen is bloated. That is completely different than egg bound. Do a search here on internal laying. There is no cure, no prevention, and it is very common in the most common hatchery breeds, like RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by