HELP what should I do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crzychicken, Jan 22, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    [​IMG] I Just lost a RIR pullet 2 days ago it look to me she had an internal egg. Just now one of my astrops (spelled wrong) laid and egg with no shell just membrane it looked like it just came out of her she wasn't in a nest I also got one 1week ago don't know from which one, this one today had a blood clot inside she was going to eat it but I grab it. she eating and drinking she just had some oatmeal with raisins and peas. She is still a pullet she is 31 weeks Is this normal or does she have something wrong my 1st time with chickens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Laying funny looking eggs is normal for pullets. Are you feeding them layer feed, or just people food? They will not be able to lay correct eggs with shells unless you give them a calcium supply, such as oyster shell or layer feed with calcium in it.

3. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    I give them free choice of oster shells and layer mash organic

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Well, are you getting some decent eggs as well?

5. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Yes the other girls that are laying their eggs are fine some have bumps on the top.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They sometimes do lay soft-shelled eggs when they are just beginning to lay. I wouldn't worry much about it. They even lay them now & then as adults.

As far as the pullet that was about to eat an egg...THAT is a bad habit for them to get into, so I'm glad you were able to grab the egg quickly. YOu might consider putting golf balls or wooden eggs in the nest; not only does this show them where they should lay, if they try to eat them, they realize they are too hard to break, and this sometimes is all it takes for them to stop egg eating. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by