HELP!! What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janaedwards, Jul 19, 2019.

1. janaedwards

janaedwards In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    A few days ago one of my ladies had one eye shut all day (her left eye)... the next day it was swollen. I did a saline eye wash and put some antibiotic ointment in her eye. The next day another lady had her left eye shut and it seemed to be itching her! I gave them both eye washes and antibiotic ointment. Now I have a third with her left eye shut and she's itching it...

I have an invasion of an itchy infection that only attacks the left eyes of chickens!!

Not a single one of them is lethargic or showing symptoms of upper respiratory illness. I don't see any bubbles in the eyes, though they are a little cloudy when I open them. Occasionally, they will open them on their own, but not much

Will you all please give me suggestions on proper care (including names of medications)? Also, do I need to disinfect the ENTIRE roost (they roam all day and only go into the coop at night)? If I need to give them an antibiotic, please let me know the proper antibiotic to use. Also, please let me know if I should treat the entire flock with an antibiotic as a preventative. I need to attack this today before it hits the whole flock. Thank you!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures 6 and 7 look like a sunken eye or conjunctivitis. That can be a sign of mycoplasma or MG/CRD. Tylan injectable or powder put in the water can treat symptoms of MG. Dosage of the powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Add the water to the powder, not the other way around, and change it ever 3 days or more often. Here is where you can buy it online without a prescription and get it in 2-3 days:
    https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Some feed stores may sell the injectable Tylan, but recently it has been hard to find. If you get Tylan 50 or 200, we can help with dosage, but it has to be given to each bird orally or by injection.

Here is a good article about MG:
    https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

janaedwards and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. janaedwards

Jul 19, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    OK. I have Tylan 200... but I do not know the per pound dosage for chickens. Will you please tell me what it is? Also I have 22 ga needles... is that small enough?
    Thanks @Eggcessive !

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    janaedwards likes this.
  5. janaedwards

Jul 19, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    Right now, I have three birds in my flock that have this at varying stages. They are itching with the eye symptoms. I do not know how much they weigh. I would guess that the smallest is 1 pound (2 months old) and the largest is about 3-4 pounds (5 months old).

I am fine with giving the Tylan 200 either orally or injected. I have supplies for either administration method. Which method is best?

I read the following as @Texas Kiki suggested...

...if all you have is Tylan 200, use that, but do use it properly, which means giving it several times a day. The dose I would use is 50 mg per pound per day (0.25 ml per pound per day).

Five pound bird
    0.625 ml twice a day
    0.42 ml three times a day
    0.31 ml four times a day

In poultry and other birds, Tylan should be given no less than twice a day.

I understand this oral dosage. I will divide the given dosage to fit the size of my littles.

If injection is better, do you have that dosage?

Thanks!!

6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Injections can hurt...make them very sore by injecting it so many times.
    Give it orally.

casportpony and janaedwards like this.
  7. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    The Tylan 200 oral per pound dose that I would use:
    • 0.0625 ml per pound 4 times a day
    Or
    • 0.083 ml per pound 3 times a day
    Or
    • 0.125 ml per pound 2 times a day
    I would do it orally because both Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 can cause severe injection site reactions.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Eggcessive and Texas Kiki like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: