Help, What should i do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey guys.
    We hatched 11 chicks about 2 weeks ago. The first one to pip was actually 8th to hatch. She almost didn't make it and we had to help her.
    Now, she isn't looking too good. She sleeps a lot, but has a ton of feathering. She also sneezes and when she does, it sprays a little. [​IMG] Now, im wondering if there's something i should do. She is the only banty so she's the smallest. Is there something i should put in her water? If the can't live a normal life in the coop, then i'll just make her a house chicken.

So, really what it sums up to is: Should i be concerned, and if so, what should i do?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I forgot to mention that she does not show any simptoms(sp?) of any illness.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The first thing I would do is take the crumbles and make a wet mash, and see if her appetite improves with that. The crumbles may be too big for her.

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have seen her eat. She ate just a few minutes ago all by herself.

5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:"Now, she isn't looking too good. She sleeps a lot...She also sneezes and when she does, it sprays a little. [​IMG] "

I would call these symptoms of illness...she could have come kind of infection, maybe fungal if none of the other chicks are sick. Or, seh may be the only one to catch something due to her size and tough start -less hardy than the others perhaps?

You can give her some Poly-vi-Sol, or put Save A Chick in her water if there are no other symptoms and see if that helps.

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Weell, she was in a warm box alone last night. She slept in there for hours. Now, today she seems perfect! I realized that they all sneeze when they aren't in the brooder. Proboably because they're cold. They all seem fine now!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by