Help! What the heck is this poo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kv1211, Aug 5, 2011.

1. kv1211

kv1211 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I just got home a couple hours ago and did some brooder cleaning for my 1 week old chicks, so I put them in another box. While I was cleaning, I noticed that one of the chicks in the box I moved them into, took a dump and it was yellow and foamy and different from the rest of the chicks that crapped. I put them back in the brooder and 30 minutes later I checked up on them again and I saw the foamy crap in the brooder. It had no blood in it and I smelt it up close [​IMG] and it smelt pretty bad. I was wondering why this is happening and is it normal. If it isn't how should I treat it.

edit: My chicks diet in order were: Mashed up uncooked rice grains for 4-5 days w/ water, Then 24/7 chick starter feed 5-9 days old w/ water (present)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I believe that all chicken poo would smell pretty bad [​IMG] But as for the foamy poo...I have seen this in mine before and they were all just fine. I know there is a poo thread somewhere with pictures to show normal poo and not so normal poo. I will try to find that link for you.

3. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I think it might be worms, but I'm new at this stuff and not totally sure. Wait till one of the experts weighs in. [​IMG]

4. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    i have an iphone app called "ichicken" and there's a picture of yellow foamy pooh called "cecal" droppings. It says these pouches empty on a regular basis and says it looks and smells nasty but is an indication that your hen is healthy.

Without a picture, I can only compare based on your description. I'm no expert, though. Just referring to a chicky poo poo chart!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    The foamy one says it is expelled every 8 to 10 droppings. Says its normal...if that is what yours looks like. It's at the bottom of the "normal" pictures.

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    My chicks have that type of poop too. Foamy, yellow, sick poop is normal for a chickadee. [​IMG]

7. kv1211

Aug 2, 2011
    It's sort of like this. [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yup that is normal [​IMG] I would try laying off the rice though for a while and just feed them reg feed or maybe throw some grass in there for them They would LOVE that. Or even a worm and watch them fight over it [​IMG]

9. kv1211

Aug 2, 2011
    Oh thanks:D I feel so relieved because I thought it was coccus but I figured it wasn't because the poo wasn't bloody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by