HELP! What to do about 3 broodys in the same box????????

FLOWERPOT

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
The problem is that one is a cochin banty and one is a Muscovy duck and one is a Narrigansett turkey hen.
They are all in the same box all squished and sitting on an egg combo.
I checked the muscovy egg and it looks like they are getting ready to pip. Should I take them in to the incubator to hatch, or let them hatch with the 3 outside.
Im worried that they will fight over the hatchlings and end up killing them!
Should I try to move the Muscovy hen with her eggs? I tried that earlier, and she left the eggs and wanted back in the original box!

hey Flowerpot.... cool name

Last year I had some serious box competition also, I tried moving them.... failure. A couple days later, I made 2 more nesting boxes with doors on them and I moved two of the girls at night, late at night so they were good and tranquil. I shut the door on them and left them totally alone for 2 days (thy all had food and water in with them) and that seemed to do the trick, after 2 days had passed with nobody bothering them, they were all in their far away broody land so I was able to open the doors and let them finish naturally. I would still find an occasional odd egg layed in one but the hatchers were marked, so no big deal.

Good luck! Aren't broodies fun
wink.png

Thanks!
Yeah I love the broodys, they are too funny!
I only let them have 2 or 3 eggs each though, I really wanted these muscovys to hatch and I took 6 into the house to put in the incubator and they didnt make it because of issues with the bator, I thought the ones outside were bad too and went to candle them and WOOHOO, the 2 I left her look like they are ready to pip!

Now I start to worry!

Back
Top Bottom