Help: What to do about this crooked foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flirty31, Oct 7, 2012.

1. flirty31

flirty31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    First batch of chicks, they're about 4 weeks old now. We got 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Barred Rock and 1 Americauna. The Americauna has consistently been larger than the other birds, and she still is.

The problem is, a few days ago we noticed that one of her feet has crooked toes. She walks pretty much fine, and she jumps up and perches on things but she doesn't seem to perch as easily as the other two birds.

I thought maybe this was Bumblefoot, but there are no sores, and her foot isn't completely curled under. It's so weird because her foot wasn't ever crooked to us until a few days ago.

I have researched what to do and I understand I pretty much have two choices:

1) Leave it alone, she'll probably be fine but may always have a crooked foot
    2) Try to "splint" it with cardboard and band-aids

My only concern with splinting it is that then it will be hard for her to walk, right?

Please share any/all advice. As a first time chicken owner, I am so disappointed that my tiny flock already has a problem :([​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Looks like she broke her toe. I'd try splinting it.

3. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    She has two crooked toes on her right foot. Most likely genetic in my opinion although it can be cause by a very cold floor or wire floor when they are young. She may also have a Vitamin D deficiency causing her bones to become malformed.

Crooked Toes/Bent toes

Jim

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  4. flirty31

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks Jim, I will check out that link.

We have had her on pine shavings, and no wire on the floor...so I don't really know how this happened. :(

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Since this was noticed only a few days ago, I'm still thinking it's broken. The toe next to it doesn't look good either. Vitamin deficiences, etc. usually the wierdness from this would be noticed before now.

6. flirty31

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks Galanie,

I have made a little splint our of cardboard and band-aids. She was surprisingly docile and I was pretty much able to get it on without my husband's help (very surprising as she is our "crazy" one).

I am unsure of what it is still, and yes it was only an issue recently. We have been checking them religiously for "bumblefoot" as we were paranoid it would be an issue, and we didn't notice anything amiss until this happened.

How long would y'all suggest keeping the splint on? A week?

Thanks for all of your guidance, it is nice knowing there is this community to seek advice from!

7. flirty31

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Update: She kept ripping off the little splints I was making for her. And I think I may have caught the problem too late. It seems that her foot is permanently disfigured. She doesn't seem to have any problem getting around on it, and doesn't favor that foot specifically. I did a lot of research online and it seems that in a backyard flock a chicken like this should survive just fine.

Anyone else out there with hens that have funny feet?

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yeah I have a few with funny feet. Doesn't hurt them at all, but I wouldn't breed them in case it is genetic, but I believe in my case it is due to low humidity and temp during incubation. Since I got a new incubator, not having this issue.

9. flirty31

Aug 29, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks for the info, I got mine from a local store that had them shipped in, and I am in city limits that don't allow roosters, so I won't be breeding and I don't have my own incubator. Glad to hear that your chicken with funny feet are just fine. Guess it just makes her "special."

10. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    I have a 7 month old EE with a toe (second on inside) that curves to the inside. Didn't notice it until she was a couple of months old so maybe an injury they didn't heal properly, It flexes sideways instead of down and doesn't bother her a bit.

Bruce

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by