Help....what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenteacher2, Feb 14, 2013.

1. chickenteacher2

chickenteacher2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Ok, so I planned this hatch for my students this year. ordered ahead of time, a mix bag of 6 and bantams. Planned to get 2 wyandotte eggs locally. Last SAturday, got my Wyandotte eggs and was waiting for my shipment in the mail. Got nervous, put the wyandotte eggs under my broodies (glad I did) and slipped one of my own mutt eggs just for kicks....my first time with broodies.

Well, my shipment #1 (bantams) arrives today. Next shipment SHOULD be here tomorrow, while I'm at work. So, I got my first shipment "resting" for their 12 hours...I could set them in the morning. But, then the next eggs would need to rest their 12 hours. Problem is I don't want to set them on a weekend day, because the whole point is for the students to see the hatch. What to do? Do I wait to set them all on Monday??????[​IMG][​IMG]

2. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California

I don't have a recommendation for you, but there is an ongoing, current thread discussing how old eggs can be and still have successful hatches. Someone mention having a 100% hatch on three week old eggs. There is also a link or two for storage suggestions. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738347/how-long-can-eggs-survive-unincubated

3. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    My second shipment arrived today [​IMG] but, they are resting and I will set them with the others on Monday morning. Hoping this will all work out. [​IMG]

4. redriver

redriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Northern California

You know what's funny, is that I had my eggs all planned to arrive on or just before Feb 20th. Some were being shipped to me, and there are others that I am getting locally. Shipper emailed me today to let me know that eggs are on their way (right on schedule) and will probably get here on Monday or Tuesday. Not two hours after that email, I get another email from my local egg source saying that it will probably be a week or ten days till my local eggs will be ready. So, now I'm in the same boat you are! :rolleyes:

Do I set when I get them and do a staggered hatch, or store them and set them all together? I am thinking I will store them in my garage and wait for the local ones. Since the first batch are shipped, it will probably do them good to settle.

So now I'm worried that my hatching rate will now be lower because they are going to be older and thinking I should get more eggs, just to be on the safe side and all. :D

But, honestly, I think everything will work out for both of us. A friend of mine was just telling me today how he randomly decides to hatch eggs sometimes. He'll just take 'em out of his fridge, where they've been stored for who knows how long and tosses them in his bator. He also loves getting the fertile eggs from the store to supplement his flock. Usually has a hatch rate of about 75%.

Totally off topic, but what grade do you teach? I'm not a teacher, but I work with 1st, 2nd, and sixth graders.

5. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    It will work out. [​IMG][​IMG]

I teach 3rd. They are so eggsited. I hope this year they get to see the hatching part. Last year, the two hatched overnight. [​IMG]

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    just put them all in together on a day you want and cross your fingers.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by