HELP! What to feed if I don't want Hen Scratch/Pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FlyingERanch, Dec 11, 2011.

1. FlyingERanch

FlyingERanch New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    We have a small flock of 11 laying hens, Rhode Island Reds and 2 Turkens. Until now I've always been happy buying a Pellet from the local feed store. Then I read the bag, and all of the chemicals I read are really bothering me. What can I feed in place of that pellet? We also feed them daily cracked corn, and they get the vegetable scraps from our kitchen. Its winter in Colorado, they have a heat lamp and are still continuing to lay daily so I don't want to lose that, but I want less chemicals in what we feed so less in what we eat. Thanks for you suggestions and help!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Your going to have to feed some type of complete that has the needed proteins, fat, energy, vitamins, minerals etc. in it. Most likely the "chemicals" you saw on the feed bag was the vitamins and minerals.
    What feed are you feeding, do you have the list of ingredients?

Chris

3. FlyingERanch

FlyingERanch New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    I'm currently feeding Agland 20% Protein Pellets, what I don't like is the list of ingredients that are things I can't pronounce. Can you mix your own feed mixture to get to the nutrients you need by just using the ingredients in their natural form?

CHICKEN PELLET - 20% HEN LAYER RATION
    To promote maximum egg production in young layer hens.
    Guaranteed Analysis
    CRUDE PROTEIN, not less than...
    20.0%
    LYSINE, not less than...
    0.90%
    METHIONINE, not less than...
    0.30%
    CRUDE FAT, not less than...
    3.00%
    CRUDE FIBER, not more than...
    6.50%
    CALCIUM (Ca), not less than...
    5.00%
    CALCIUM (Ca), not more than...
    6.00%
    PHOSPHORUS (P), not less than...
    0.70%
    SALT (NaCl)), not less than...
    0.40%
    SALT (NaCl), not more than...
    0.90%
    INGREDIENTS
    Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Animal Protein Products, Dried Bakery Products, Forage Products, Animal Fat (preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), L-Lysine, Methionine Supplement, Calcuim Carbonate, Salt, Monocalcium/Dicalcium Phosphate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Sodium Silico Aluminate.

4. FlyingERanch

FlyingERanch New Egg

Dec 11, 2011
    What I don't like to see is Animal Protein Products, I don't think that chickens need ground up animals in their diet? If so, what are they getting from that, or is it just a filler product?

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Protein is essential. THere are a few (rather) long threads on here you can do a search for that deal with alternate feeding. There is no easy short answer....still looking for that but there are quite a few informed ideas posted. It may take a while to read through them all though!

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Quote:Why not?

Chickens are omnivors.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Mine are sure omnivores, I have seen them eating mice, frogs, bugs, and a few unfortunate times eggs.

None of the chemicals listed are unnatural, they are just the purified form of essential (meaning you can't live without them) minerals and vitamins. They are added in to provide a complete and balanced diet.

8. robin127

robin127 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    El Paso County, Colorado
    We are in Colorado,and several neighbors go in together to purchase soy free, non-go, all organic feed in bulk. A large order works out to about the Same price as feed store pellets, and the chickens LOVE it! They gain weight better, too. Ifyiunwant more info let me know.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The BHA and ethoxiquin are chemical preservatives. Everything else listed is a vitamin, mineral or important amino acid, which is a building block of a complete protein, added to balance the diet and make it more nutritious.

You could also just buy a different brand of chicken feed that doesn't have the chemical preservatives. You can also buy feed without animal products with it. A lot of feeds these days don't have either of those things in them.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Unfortunatley there is further research you will have to do yourself as to what all these things are. I doubt to many here have gone to all that trouble. Now you might be able to find another brand of feed other than the one you are using. You might also wish to switch to an organic feed if you can find one.

Most commercial feeds offer a "balanced" diet for you chickens.

In order to do this yourself you will have to research just what it is you need and how to get it into your feed. You might want to consult some poultry books and see what they have to say about putting together a complete and balance dietary feed.

However unless you use "organic" grains you will still get some of those chemicals in your feed.

I wish you well,

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by