1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!! What to feed new baby chick...No chick Food!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JordanFamily, Apr 16, 2008.

1. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Ok so I was going to test my new incubator with some unimportant eggs. The woman said as soon as they are born she would come get them all. Well here I am on day 19 and a chick has hatched early... The woman is not going to come get the chicks until at least 3 days to give them all a chance to hatch. I really was not expecting to feed the chicks. In my mind they were all going to hatch one day and she was going to come get them the next. AHHHH! Now what can I feed them that I have here at home. I was thinking of feeding them my gerber baby mixed grain flaked cereal in the box. I know it does not have enough protien so should I add some peanut butter, boiled egg yoke, or something like that.... Please help.
    Hopeless Kristina in Mo

2. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Ok, dont panic. I got a solution. Tehe! First of all they absorb the yoke when they are born and really do not need anything for 3 days. However, to keep them from getting too stressed, you can boil an egg, wait until it is cool, smash it up and I'm sure he/she will enjoy it. You can also give him a "saucer" full of water in the brooder. But the yoke usually takes care of them for 3 days. [​IMG]

3. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Thank You So MUCH!!![​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The baby cereal and smashed boiled egg yolk will work, if you have oatmeal you can crush it with a rolling pin and use that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by