Help! What type of chicken do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nikitamarie05, Aug 16, 2013.

1. nikitamarie05

nikitamarie05 New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Can anyone tell me what type of girl I have? Small, white, white skin, red ear lobes, and lays brown eggs. She is about half the size of my Red Star. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I would guess white Leghorn. Maybe a mix though, maybe something else. I'm no expert on breeds. ;) Are her legs as short as they look in the first photo?

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That's not a Leghorn, the have white earlobes. Probably a White Plymouth Rock.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Around here Leghorns often don't have white earlobes but it is the breed standard to have them, as far as I know. But I agree, she doesn't look properly Leghorn to me.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Yeah, also the body isn't shaped like a Leghorn, Leghorns are much skinnier lol.

6. nikitamarie05

nikitamarie05 New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Yes, her legs are as short as they look. [​IMG] At first I thought Leghorn b/c she is flighty (warming up now that I've had her 8 months), but she lays brown eggs, and as previously people stated, has red ear lobes.

7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Wow, they're quite short legs. Maybe not a purebred anything at that rate. I've gotten quite Leghorn-looking birds from crossing a Leghorn with Pekin Silkie mixes. The legs and feet were most likely to show the bantam in them. The rest of the bird often looked totally Leghorn. On short and sometimes fluffy legs.

I did have two supposedly purebred Leghorn hens, 2 years old, 2 egg a day layers. They were true to type, looked even show-worthy. I put them on my normal diet for chooks for a year and by the end of it they were mottled mutts, gone from pure white to red, black, yellow, etc. Everything changed: beak, iris, feathers, legs, eggshells, etc.

You never know what's lurking under any bird's phenotype until you feed them kelp. I look forward to buying purebreds off breeders and keeping them on kelp for a year to see what lurks beneath. :D The next moult will tell all. I've had purebred breeders decide to start using kelp after seeing my mongrels. Makes such a significant difference.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If she didn't lay brown eggs, then I would say that she was a white Dorking, as that breed has short legs and a rectangular body shape. However, Dorkings lay white eggs. I would guess that yours is a mix, probably with White Plymouth Rock being part of the mix. The short leg gene could have come from a shorter legged breed, such as the Dorking or Lamona (though Lamonas are rare), or it could just be a fluke.

9. nikitamarie05

nikitamarie05 New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for helping! Whatever she is, she is absolutely adorable, and I love her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by