HELP! What type of roofing and design would you suggest for this run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Luvmy9hens, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Luvmy9hens

Luvmy9hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I am in the midst of constructing this run before the winter snows are upon us and have come to a stand still. The run is 4'x8' and wraps around the 4'x6' coop. I was considering lexan polycarbonate panels for the roof and also for the walls to protect the flock from snow. Any suggestions? Here is what I have thus far.. I currently have old garage door panels covering the top until I can get a secure roof installed. The hens are locked away at night.

.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I would go with 8' fiberglass roofing or aluminum panels. Clear panels would be good for allowing as much light as possible. I would build up 1 end by 12" or so to create enough slant so rain runs off. You will want to watch the snow load so it does not get too heavy. I have my run covered with aluminum panels, and it keeps the run dry and mud free.

3. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I was on the track of clear Lexan polycarbonate panels - I do not want to go crazy with framing and trying to keep the run in "sections" for easy mobility. I can go as high as 12" for the rise with a run being about 60". That would allow for a 1' overhang on the eaves. I will most likely construct a 6" overhang for the rake. Polycarbonate panels aren't cheap at 33.00 per 26"W x 12' L panel. I do have some lumber from an A frame coop that was given to me so that should help. I am trying to get this done by having to cut the LEAST amount of angles as possible. Is this a realistic project without a table saw?

4. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

It kinda comes down to how much you want to spend. alum roofing is not that expensive and on CL, you can even find used.
    The clear stuff as you know costs plenty.
    As far as the sides, I just bought some plastic, sold by the foot, and has nylon webing in it to put up on the bottom part of my run to keep the snow out, $.99 per ft. I'll add this pic.[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the plastic

[​IMG]

My chickens were pecking at it. I think that they hate it. hahaha
    But it is for THEM, and if they destroy it, they will be the ones with snow in the run.
    I haven't ruled out adding more for the top, but if I do, I'll leave at least 6" open at the top

5. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I like the idea of the plastic with the embedded netting for the sides. We get a LOT of snow up here (as I am sure you do as well). Chickens HATE the snow and it is hard on their feet as well. I hope that others join in and make suggestions... I have a week off next week and I'd like to get it done!

6. meskybar

meskybar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Peoria, Az
    Wish i could help, but I live in AZ and never get snow..

7. meskybar

Apr 26, 2014
    Peoria, Az
    Best of luck!

8. meskybar

Apr 26, 2014
    Peoria, Az
    I do like the plastic wrap on the bottom though

9. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

Couple things, first of all the paintings of the chickens is GREAT! I'm jealous.
    where are you located?
    If you have a big lumber or roofing company near you, they have drop offs of the alum roofing.
    My run is 6 1'/2ft wide and I got 7' drop offs or outdated colors for a buck a foot. you may be able to do something like that. I sloped my roof the height of a 2X4, which is 3 1/2" and plan on keeping the snow to a minumum on it, but do have joists also.
    In looking at mine, I'm quite sure I'm going to add another 30" of the plastic, leaving 6" at the top open. This is the south side, and I'll also do the east side.

1 person likes this.
  10. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Sounds like a plan. I also plan on installing joists as the snow does get heavy. I do plan to keep the snow cleared as well. I was looking through the lumber that I have from the A frame coop/run that was given to me. There is plenty for the roof. I will just need one long ledger board to attach to the coop and extend it out 4.5 - 5 feet. I will secure the other end to a beam attached to and extending up from the side wall.

I am located in Eastern Upstate New York about 46 miles from the Canadian border. It gets COLD here! -20 is not unusual!

The chicken acrylics actually came out better than I expected. I have never painted before. I bought the acrylics last year and "chickened out" when it came to using them. This year I just forged ahead. I looked at a few pictures and painted. I wanted to draw them first but did not have the time. They came out pretty well for a first timer. I may have found a new hobby! Thanks for the input!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by