Help! What would you do? Just lost one hen and now another could be sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeachygirlGA, Mar 3, 2014.

1. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I just buried my hen Saturday and now another hen has a poopy butt just like the other did. Other than that, she is eating, drinking and seems healthy. I just know that the other hen started out this way and I'm so scared I'm going to lose all my chickens! What steps should I take? I don't know of a vet around here that handles farm animals. Should I give them worm medicine?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are they thin?
    Any vet should be able to do a fecal test for worms. I'd take a few fresh samples from your flock before I'd just assume they had a severe load.

3. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    They look the same as always, not any thinner that I can tell.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sick birds look bigger because they fluff up. Pick the bird up and feel its keel bone. It shouldn't be real prominent.

5. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I'm sorry, keel bone? I'm relatively new at this! lol!

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are these chickens new to you and your property? If so you may be dealing with coccidiosis. It usually affects young chicks under 11 weeks, but when they are exposed to new ground where there are other strains of coccidia they haven't built up immunity to, they can get it. Corid or amprollium powder or liquid is the best treatment. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp powder or 2 tsp of liquid per gallon of water for 5 days.

8. PeachygirlGA

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    I've had them for a couple of years.
    So probably i need to worm them, right?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many people worm chickens twice a year--fall and spring are good times. Fenbendazole which is sold as SafeGuard equine paste or liquid goat wormer, and Panacur, is a very good wormer that get most chicken worms. Dosage is 1/2 to 1 ml, or 1/4 ml for bantams. Valbazen is also very good, but is more expensive, although there are more doses. Many feed store clerks will recommend Wazine which treats only roundworms.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Check them for any symptoms.listen to their breathing, do you hear any wheeze? Is their any sneezing or coughing? Any mucus in the nose? Any discharge coming from the vent? What is the color and consistency of their stool? Feel the crop is it emptying as it should? Are they fluffed up with ruffled feathers? Are they straining as if to lay a egg? Are they eating and drinking? I know this is a lot of questions but each question can be related to a specific illness depending on your answers. I would do a complete exam and list ANY symptoms you discover so we can help figure out what is happening. If they have not been wormed then yes its probably a good idea to start with worming . But If you can please list any symptoms that you have noticed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by