Help! What's wrong w/ her vent *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LovinMyHensInNC!, Aug 3, 2010.

1. LovinMyHensInNC!

LovinMyHensInNC! Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been on vacation and came back to this! This hen has had a 'pasty bottom' for a couple weeks now but I figured it would work itself out. Her comb is noticeably pale and she seems lighter than normal. Her vent is all crusty and it looks like clear liquid is secreting from it (her whole underside and feathers are wet). The two bones under her vent are also very noticeable. I have no idea what to do or what is going on.

Some other info: I now have her isolated and plan to give her some fresh yogurt. She has been on layer grain and free choice grit and oyster shells. She seems to have an appetite (happy to receive scratch) but looks weaker than normal.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Gonna give you a bump since you are almost off the top of the list. I do not know what is going on with her but in my untrained eye that looks like a nasty infection.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Can not say what it is exactly. It looks like infection as well.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I dont know what it could be but I would defintly try to get the plug out so you can see better whats going on.. Warm water soaks should help to loosen it so she can push it out .. Also keep her in a dark secluded area so she doesnt continue to try to make eggs... First and foremost get to saoking and once it comes out post some more pics .. Please

5. LovinMyHensInNC!

She was happy to receive yogurt.

Should I give her an antibiotic?

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    LovinMyHensInNC! :

She was happy to receive yogurt.

Should I give her an antibiotic?

See my above post her vent looks blocked which means no eggs or poo coming out.. If you dont unblock it she WILL die .. Period... I would figure out the problem before just throwing antibiotics at her, it may be something as simple as a touch of pasty butt...Or something as serious as eggbound but until you remove it you wont know one way or the other​

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I agree that you should give her a good soak to loosen up the blockage. From the pic, it looks like poop, and looks very painful. I believe this is the best way to start.

8. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Have you tried soaking her butt in warm water? If it is pasty butt, that should help. Good luck.

9. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    I am eagerly awaiting an update.. have you removed the gob yet?

10. LovinMyHensInNC!

I soaked her butt for about 15 minutes this evening. Nothing seems to come off of her vent area. The outside ring of her vent is very hard and a little scabby... The whole thing almost looks swollen and protruded. After the bath I rubbed the vent area with olive oil and then I applied a thick coat of Vaseline. She gobbled down dinner so I am anxious to see what her poop looks like in the morning if there is any. I have her in a dog crate covered with towels to keep it dark just in case. I plan to soak her again tomorrow... I hope this helps! [​IMG]

edited to correct my spelling! I drive myself crazy!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by