1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help whats wrong with mu quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by anna rae, Dec 21, 2014.

1. anna rae

anna rae New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell what it is ? And how to help her :( i new with this and i never see this .

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is she molting? I can't see much from the picture. Is there a wound there?..possibly from aggression?

Oh and welcome to BYC! :)

3. anna rae

anna rae New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    Its all over her head and she can barely see . I worried about her. And thank u [​IMG]
    Does this help alil ?

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I can't tell what I am looking at. Describe her head and what you are seeing.

5. anna rae

anna rae New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    She has no feathers on her head it looks dry and scabby with a little bit of blood on her neck she can't seem to open Her eyes very well. could it be from the male trying to mate with her.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, they can and do rip out feathers while mating. I would separate her out for a bit to allow her to heal. Put some antibacterial ointment on the wound or if you have any blu-kote, you can dab that on the wound as well with a q-tip. When she seems like she can handle going back in the flock you can put her back in, but keep the blu-kote on the wounds so that none of the others pick on her injury. They can pick her to the point of death. If you can, separate her but keep her within sight of the flock so mixing her back in is easy.Even in the same pen but quarantined off.

How many hens do you have with this roo? The proper ratio of rooster to hen is 1 roo to 5 to 7 hens. If you don't have enough females, the roos can literally mate the hens to death. She is obviously being over mated.

7. anna rae

anna rae New Egg

Dec 21, 2014
    There 2 hens . I didnt know that thank u for letting me know i just got 7 new babys from them. Where can i find that ornament.

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    You would be better off removing the rooster and leaving the two hens. If you take the injured hen out that would leave just the other hen in with that rooster, not good. Cage him where they can see each other so when you re-introduce them they will accept him. You can use any antibacterial ointment as long as it does not have any pain relief ingredients as most birds are allergic to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by