Help what's wrong with my chick and can we save it

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sophiejw, Jul 1, 2010.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello,

I have a chick I'm worried about and I'm hoping for advice about what might be wrong with it, and if there is anything we can do to help it.
    It hatched about 36 hours ago- the day before all the others did. It's seemed a bit sickly compared to the others, though it has brightened up alot now. It's got a problem around it's stomach- I thought it had got itself covered in poo, but looking more closeley I don't know that's what it is- I'm wondering if it's hatched too soon and it's some sort of umbilical cord type thing, whatever it is that chicks have.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'm going to have to try to clean it, but I'm worried about whether I disturb anything that's healing up, or what I find.

Has anyone else had this with one of their chicks? All thoughts / advice gratefully received!

2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    I had a chick with the same thing. It is the umbilical cord. It should be fine. My chick's dried up and fell off in a couple days.

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    If they are eating, drinking, pooping, and getting around they are likely fine and all you need to do is feed, water, keep the temperature at the correct level, and let them be chicks.

What ever you do do not attempt to remove that "stomach area problem" let it dry up shrivel and drop off on its own.

4. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Thanks so much for the replies. Oh that's great news, I'm so pleased, I thought it might have to be culled. Brilliant [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by