HELP!!! Whats wrong with my Chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittenchick, Aug 3, 2008.

1. kittenchick

kittenchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Harwich UK
    Ok...I need some advice...AGAIN.
    One of my girls (Flo - the bottom of the pecking order) for 1, is not laying yet. All the others are. I do let them go free range for a few hours during the day, but for the past couple of days, when I put them back in their run and coop, the others will stay in the run and scratch about, but Flo will just go inside the coop and sit there. If I go over to the hut, she peeps her head out, but she always goes back in. Should I be worried?

Kim
    x

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm... Is she picked on a lot by the others?

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    [​IMG] Glad you found us kittenchick .
    Just make sure your hen can get to food and water some birds are very timid.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yep make sure she is getting enough food and water and oyster shell too. Sometimes it's so hard to tell if your bird is thin..because of all the feathers. Pick her up and check her over well just to be safe. Good luck hope she starts laying soon!

5. kittenchick

kittenchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Harwich UK
    Thank you everyone..... to be honet....I think she is a little bit picked on.... I have been making an EXTRA fuss of her though... what else can I do? Poor thng... My mum said she would have her?

What do you think?

Kim

[​IMG]

6. seymojo536

seymojo536 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2007
    Central Ohio
    It's quite obvious what's going on. The other chickens are jealous of you giving her more attention and have been inside calling her "teacher's pet" and saying stuff like " Mom always liked you best!" Then they all made a pact to ignore her and ran outside. Of course there's a couple that are bullies and push her and peck her when you're not there. ( can you tell I have 3 daughters?)

It's just a fact that there is a dominate hen, then second in command and the order goes all the way down to whoever is on the bottom. If you take the one on the bottom away, then they will pick on whoever is next in line.

Of course if she hasn't laid yet, she could just be looking for a place to go for the first time. Hens are funny creatures and can practice several times before they actually do something.
    As long as she can get away from them if the picking becomes too much, I wouldn't worry about her.

But please show the others some love too. As the alpha you should give each one some individual attention and let them know how much you appreciate the wonderful eggs they are giving you.

7. dturren

dturren Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Of course if she hasn't laid yet, she could just be looking for a place to go for the first time. Hens are funny creatures and can practice several times before they actually do something.

I have three girls. One has been laying for about three weeks now, almost every morning. The second settles into the nest around 4pm, throws hay around her, acts like she is very busy...but...no egg. I am concerned something is wrong. Could this just be "practice"?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by