1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! what's wrong with my girl?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BillinaOz, Mar 15, 2015.

1. BillinaOz

BillinaOz New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    About 3 weeks ago I noticed baby Florence was walking funny and had a small swelling on her belly. She started to waddle around and would sit like a dog. Almost like she was stood up all the time. I thought she may be egg bound but is still laying and alert and her fiesty self. After the swelying got bigger I took her to the vet who did an xray and tried to drain it button no avail it couldn't be drained.They checked her over. They said it might be a hernia like it's her intestines or something. The vet said keep an eye on her. It's been another week and the swelling looks bigger. She's still laying and eating pecking around but looks uncomfortable. If anyone could help I'd be ever so greatful. Apologies for poor English I'm typing this on my phone. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. chickengirl28

chickengirl28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    I dont think this might help on this situation
    but put paracetamol or co codamol not both which ever one you got
    I think paracetamol better and sugar in water so thats
    paracetamol sugar and water mix it all together let the
    medicine dissolve
    anhope this helped

3. BillinaOz

BillinaOz New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    No thank you so much any help is great. Will do that tomorrow. X

4. chickengirl28

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    you are ver welcome and its my pleasure I love
    chickens

5. BillinaOz

BillinaOz New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    Me too! Very much! X x

6. chickengirl28

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    So have you try giving it to her

7. BillinaOz

BillinaOz New Egg

Mar 2, 2015
    I'm away at the moment but will get her first thing in the morning. [​IMG]

8. chickengirl28

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    Okay .
    It might not work sorry
    might not or might

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

No offence intended chickengirl28 and apologies if I am speaking out of turn, but I would be very wary of using paracetamol or any other drug at the suggestion of someone whose experience and age cannot be assessed from a post on an internet forum. I have read quite a bit of this forum in the past 6 months and this is the first mention I have come across of paracetamol or codamol being used. I have read that asprin has been recommended on a few occasions but I have no personal experience and therefore cannot recommend it. I am sure the intent of the other poster is very genuine but we can all be mistaken and whilst I would be happy to be wrong and more than happy to apologise, it would be safer to check with others more experienced, rather than medicate your chicken with something that may do more harm than good. I would feel terrible if I subsequently read that your chicken died after giving it paracetamol; and hadn't voiced my concern.

If it turns out that paracetamol is OK for chickens, the dosage will need to be worked out quite carefully as chickens are much smaller than us humans and paracetamol can cause liver damage.

I'm sorry I have no idea what may be wrong with your hen but there are many very experienced members here and hopefully someone will recognise these symptoms and have an idea of what is causing it and how to treat it.

Good luck and I hope she gets better soon.

Regards

Barbara.

10. chickengirl28

Mar 2, 2015
    UK
    Hi Barbara I have just suggested this idea
    and when my baby chick was stepped on by my sister
    in used this and she was okay
    when my chickens poops are diffrent I use
    this as well as I change the food

But i was only suggesting the idea