HELP! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS BEAK? Bird having hard time eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BoyetteK9, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BoyetteK9

BoyetteK9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Clermont County, Ohio
    She's having a tough time picking anything up to eat. Bottom beak appears too long (since top beak is so curved).
    What can I do to correct this? This is my first time with chickens. Hen 7 weeks old.
    Do I file the bottom beak? If so, with what? Her beak always hangs open.

I wanted to confer with y'all because I don't want to make the situation worse.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  2. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    From what I understand, you can file it with a dremel tool if she will let you. A nail file is a bit time consuming, but it works. I trim my roosters beak with one in the winter months as he is in the house most of the winter with not much to peck at.
    Good luck to you and your bird![​IMG]

3. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Try a deep dish so it can scoop with its beak. Ath the top right side of the page put in cross beak in the search box and you will find all kinds of helpful tips on what to feed and how. God's blessing to you and your chicken:)

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I would use toenail clippers and cut off the top and bottom tip. Be careful you don't cut to deep.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:I've been meaning to do this with my cross beaked chick as well...I just am unsure of how to tell when you've clipped far enough? Is there a vein like on their nails that you can clearly see?

6. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    You can see on a white beak, where it is clear and the flesh part is darker, harder on a black one. Just cut alittle, then you could try gently filing so you don't go to deep.

7. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Wouldn't you just trim the bottom so the upper and lower could meet? It would be like an overbite.

8. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I would trim both as the top looks to long also and it kind of hooks.

9. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I would think for the bird in question, trimming the bottom would be sufficient.
    Just my opinion though.... [​IMG]
    Thanks for the info on how to tell where and what you are clipping. If she can sit through a bath, she should be able to sit through that. [​IMG]

10. BoyetteK9

BoyetteK9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Clermont County, Ohio
    The beak doesn't appear to be crossed, as the top/bottom meet perfectly at the tip. Is the bottom truly too long, and the one I should trim? It is like an underbite.

I gave them some blueberries and when she eats it appears that the bottom beak is pushing the berry away before she can grasp it, so its almost like a poking action.

You guys are so good with these birds. I've much to learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by