Help! Whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Singlemaple, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Singlemaple

Singlemaple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Merrimack NH
    Yesterday i went to take care of the chickens and noticed a little bit of black on my roosters comb not much just a bit barely on the tips..

this is what i saw today,

[​IMG]

We have 3 roosters they only fought a little in september we have not had any fighting since then.... but i had thought that maybe they fought a little and they where scabs or something.... but this is pretty bad.

please tell me whats wrong is it frostbite?? we have an 8x8 coop with 30 chickens and they sleep in piles and it is almost always 10˚ warmer in the coop then outside and it has not gotten colder then 15˚ at all this year.

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
  3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Doesn't look like fowl pox to me...

not really sure what that could be though....
    It looks like fighting injuries and they are scabs/dried blood but its hard to tell...
    I don't know what frostbite looks like, so i hope someone who does can let you know if it is or not.
    If its not those, then maybe sticktight fleas?

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I wonder if there's some kind of "comb mites". (off to google)

5. Singlemaple

Singlemaple Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Merrimack NH
    I figured out what was happening.... I have seriously mean hens.

i went out there to check on him he had three hens picking on him one of them had the part of his wattle that was dangling in her beak and was trying to rip it off...

we just played doctor and cleaned it up it looks good now, he is in our quarantine coop... we have our main 8x8 coop and then a 300 sq foot run with a wall sharing with another 100 sq foot run plus a 4x3 coop ... so he still see's everyone but is behind chain link so no one can pick on him.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Poor little guy, those girls can be mean!

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Glad you found the culprits! My hens have been overly mean to each other lately, and I've been noticing dried blood marks on some of their combs, but nothing as bad as your poor roo. I wonder if it's the shorter daylight hours causing their grumpiness..... Once your roo heals up, maybe some Blu-Kote applied to his combs and wattles would help control the pecking. Good luck with him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by