Help, Wheezing Chicken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by packobeagles, Mar 18, 2016.

1. packobeagles

packobeagles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    Went out to check on my girls this evening and one of my little silkies is wheezing. She was not doing this six hours earlier when I went to collect eggs and throw out a couple handfuls of scratch.
    She is active and alert, eating normaly, poop is normal, no nasal or eye discharge, no head shaking or scratching. I looked in her mouth and nose and didn't see anything. I have separated her and brought her in the house for the night. Put some VetRx under her wings and near her nostrils. My husband took a video so you can hear her. She is in my lap and I am petting her belly.
    Any suggestions?? Trying not to freak out!
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she is having stridor, a high pitched sound that is made when there is something partially blocking the airway or trachea. Usually it is a piece food they have "inhaled" but it also could be mucus or a foreign object. This usually clears within a couple of hours, but if it gets worse or doesn't clear, then look into the throat with a flash light, and note any symptoms of a respiratory infection (runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, etc.) Let us know how she is doing later on.

3. packobeagles

packobeagles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    You were right! She cleared up in a few hours. I kept her in overnight because it was already dark outside and she was still clear this morning. She went back out to her flock mates.

Thank you!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Good to hear. She probably coughed and cleared her airway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by