Help Wheezing Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChristyC14, Nov 17, 2019.

1. ChristyC14

ChristyC14 In the Brooder

Nov 17, 2019
    Hi everyone hoping to get some advise. I have a pullet that is making a wheezing sound & one of her eyes is closed. I thought I noticed this yesterday but was not able to really do anything for her. I have spent all day reading about this and think that it is a respiratory issue. I know I can’t get by hands on Tylan. I have VetRX & have been using this today. I have her separated with food & water. She is eating & drinking fine.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC!

Can you post some photos of your pullet and her eye?
    I would take a look inside the eye to see if there are bubbles, pus or discharge - if there is, then flush with saline, remove pus/debris, then apply an ointment like Terramycin.
    How much ventilation in your coop?

ChristyC14 and Eggcessive like this.
  3. ChristyC14

Nov 17, 2019
    There is no pus or discharge it is swollen then you hear her make a whistling sound. I treated her VetRX A couple times yesterday & she was able to open it up slightly & had lost the whistle when we went to bed, but woke up the exact same this morning

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm assuming the "it is swollen" you are talking about the eye? Can you get some photos?
    Look in the eye, closely - no pus or discharge at all?
    She does better with "daytime" treatment of remedy, but is worse first thing in the morning? How much ventilation do you have in your coop? Have you shut/closed windows/vents for winter?

ChristyC14 likes this.
  5. ChristyC14

Nov 17, 2019
    I have tried to grab a few photos but difficult because she she has her head titled to look out of the open eye. I will have my husband help me turned her head to take a better look. The coop is closed up we have 2 small windows open for ventilation. Is that ok? Right now she is inside in a dog crate. Hoping she gets better

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Include some photos of your coop too.
    You may be o.k. with 2 small windows open. When you open the coop is there a strong smell of ammonia (poop)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: