Help!!! Wheezing Hen!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahkidwell47, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sarahkidwell47

sarahkidwell47 New Egg

Aug 3, 2010
    Please help! I just walked out to the coop to find my White Rock Hen WHEEZING!! I just got this hen about 6 days ago along with 3 others from the same place. The others seem to be fine but the White Rock is kinda of isolating herself and her breathing is very throaty and asthmatic sounding. She also kind of "honk" coughs. What do I do? If there are any natural things i can do, that would be preferred. They are organically feed.

I have separated her from the rest of the flock. No one else is doing it. I called the guy i got them from and he said all of his other hens are fine. Should I wait on taking her to the vet then? I made an appt withan avian vet for the morning. Or should i just wait and observe her for a day or two?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. chickatee

chickatee Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Co. Wexford , Ireland
    the exact samething happened with my sebright hen. i brought her to the vet and she gave me this stuff called baytril. i gave it to her for afew days but sadly we brought her to the vet to late and she had to be culled. the vet said it was a respiritory infection.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
  4. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I give mine shots of baytril and penicillin.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Did you quarantine the new ones? If not, that's bad. I would not treat any illness in the new birds; the only thing to do during quarantine is observe and if they become ill, cull (euthanize) them. Quarantine rule #1 is do not use antibiotics on any new birds. You need symptoms to come forward so you do not add the new ones to your flock and risk them all.

6. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm certainly no expert, but I would say to just leave her for a day or two to see if it gets any worse. I've had one or two of my hens do the same thing, and after a day or two they were fine again. So far I've been quite lucky I suppose because I've not lost a single bird, and my birds don't get any type of medication at all. No working remedies, no nothing. Egg layer pellets and fresh greens grown in our own "chicken garden" seems to do the trick.

Good luck, and do keep us all informed.

7. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Quote:The only problem with that is that I would be hesitant to eat the birds at a later date. I know the medication is supposed to leave their systems, but can you really be sure?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are two things that it could be if she sounds like air being let out of a balloon, could be ruptured air sac or she could have something stuck in her throat and is trying to breathe around it. Had that happen once. Hopefully, it's not actually respiratory. As was stated before, separate her and observe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by