HELP! When do you started feeding newly latched chicks pleas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cuisle, Jan 8, 2010.

1. cuisle

cuisle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    I have four newly hatched chicks - yesterday. I was advised to take the chicks away from the mum, because mum still has six eggs under her - these eggs are not due to hatch for another five days - so, in order for the eggs to not be abandoned, I had to bring these four new babies inside. They are from her own eggs - fertilised by a new bantam rooster - but I did not think they would be fertile - he was so young and shy, I thought. Anyway, they have hatched - I have then inside under a lightbulb, safe and warm -when do I start to give them food and water, and can I give them back to mum after she hatches her other 6 eggs...very urgent!! HELP PLEASE!

2. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    Hi, I am new, too and haven't raised chicks before but I suggest you give them food and water, especially water right away. Animals and humans too cannot live very long without water, certainly. I understand one day old chicks can survive up to 72 hours without food, that's why they can ship one day olds in the mail but after that they definitely need to be given food. Can you get to a feed store and get some chick starter food for them? Good luck!

As far as moving them back with mum after the rest of the eggs hatch - I'm sure the much more experienced BYCers can answer that one.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Since they absorb the last of the yolk just prior to hatching, they don't NEED to eat right away. They can actually go 2-3 days without eating, which is why day old chicks can be shipped from the hatcheries. Despite that, they WILL eat soon after hatching if food is offered. You could offer them chick crumbles in a chick feeder right away. For the water, if you don't have a chick waterer, put rocks in a bowl so that they can access the water without drowning. Here is the "recipe" I used for the first 24 hours I had my new chicks: 2 cups water, 2 TBSPN Apple Cider Vinegar (the one with the mother in it), 2 TBSPN honey. After the first 24 hours, I just gave them regular water.

4. cuisle

Dec 27, 2009
    Thank you very much - I have just used the saucers for the doll's cups and saucers - put organic "honeygar' into one saucer and dry chicken mash into the other - and then watched then - sure enough, the tiny dots of chickens (Buff Pekin Bantam chicks) went straight for the water - after I had dipped my fingers in it and touched it to one of their beaks - then I showed them the food - they were into that also - and now they are nodding off to sleep in the tiny food saucer. Thanks very much for the urgent help needed.

Now I'll wait for advice about re=introducing them back to their real mother, after she hatches her six eggs out - due to hatch on the 14th - Thursday. Sunflower (my only baby girl, born March last year) is a first time mother. This is her fourth attempt to "make babies". Every other time she has tried (to sit on her OWN eggs, mind you!) she has been chased away by the older hens - who have promptly sat on her eggs, and Sunflower has had a very frustrating time, poor darling.

5. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    The babies will feed on the yolk sac for about 24 hours after hatching, but put food/water in within an hour so they get used to it.

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    The babies will feed on the yolk sac for about 24 hours after hatching, but put food/water in within an hour so they get used to it.

7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Reintroducing them could go either way. After 6 days, they may not accept a mother and your hen may not accept them. If you decide to try, do it at night, and slip the babies under her with the new ones and then check often to make sure she hasn't booted them out or they aren't running around unprotected and cold. I hope everything goes well for you, good luck![​IMG]

8. cuisle

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks very much. I don't want to take any risks with these gorgeous wee dots of chickens. I just thought that their own "chicken" mother would have a better chance of intergrating the babies into the flock - but I'd be perfectly happy to raise them myself, if there was any risk involved....

9. Janos&Jen

Janos&Jen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    Spring Hill, FL
    I hope all goes well with the little darlings! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by