HELP! When to intervene.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Velcrospoons, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Velcrospoons

Velcrospoons Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    I'm on day 24 at 12:15 p.m. 4/17 successfully hatched chicks in a hovabator. 100° per manual and good humidity. One not so successful, yet. Noticed first pip yesterday morning at 7:00 a.m. day 23. Not much progress all day yesterday but a pencil eraser sized hole. This morning a nickel sized hole but again, not much progress since. Chick is breathing fine, but peeping a lot and loudly. Membrane around chick is tan and drying out. Other chicks hatched day 22. 12 eggs are unhatched and starting to stink. I've resisted the urge to help but not sure I'm doing the right thing. Chick is a polish if that makes any difference.

2. Velcrospoons

Aug 18, 2014
    Also, the edge of the hole he's made starts right in the center of the egg on the top. Seems too far down? He's got a hole in the top but isn't unzipping.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, when you say top do you mean fat end of egg or pointy end of egg?

4. Velcrospoons

Aug 18, 2014
    I'm sorry! I mean the egg is laying on it's side and the hole is in the center on the side of the egg on the top. He's working towards the larger end. If that makes sense. Almost like the low end of the air pocket was either really low (middle of the side) or he missed it.

5. Velcrospoons

Aug 18, 2014
    It's like instead of unzipping it he's just slowly (VERY slowly) making the hole bigger....for over 30 hours now.

6. Velcrospoons

Aug 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here's the best pic I can get through the window.

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi yes I think I know what you mean now and have looked at pic that looks quite large from what I can see in the pic has it been pipped for 30 hours? If it were me I would leave it as long as it is making progress. Make sure your humidity is at least 65%. It may be one of those that does a lot of resting. I don't think it has pipped too far down egg I have had them start like in middle and they have hatched fine. There is some very good posts on here about assisted hatching if you do decide to intervene PLEASE read these first. Is this your first hatch? Good luck please post how you get on:fl

8. Velcrospoons

Aug 18, 2014
    Yeah 30 hours+ now, and this is my first hatch. I have read the main article on here about assisting with hatching probably 10 times just in case lol but that will be my absolute last resort. Thank you so much for your response. I just keep waiting to go find him out of his egg! :) We shall wait. I will keep you posted!

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    That's great that you already read it,first time hatching can be such a worry and nerve racking time try to be patient I know how hard it can be and you are probably right turn your back and he will be out!!! :fl

10. Velcrospoons

Aug 18, 2014
    Going on 34 hours now. Still no progress. :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by