Help ! Where can I find sand for coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sellersV, Mar 28, 2017.

1. sellersV

sellersV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    I have been trying to find sand for my coop and have not had any luck . I have read the sand cannot have silica . Anyone in the N Ga area know where to find it ? I have been to several stone yards and I don't know if I am being too picky but I don't think it's the right sand.

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Home Depots or Lowes usually have play sand that would work for that.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I get a big dump truck load straight out the sand pits---delivered to my yard---about 18 tons. But you can go to Lowes for example and get 1000/1200lbs in one big bag of builders sand set on your trailer/in truck cheap. I never checked to see if it has silica?? I just know it works and I have been using it for many years around my chickens/coops and also as grit for young chicks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Material-S...apacity-Woven-Polypropylene-Sand-Bags/3369216

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    You could have to buy it by the bag though. Which is probably more expensive than getting it in bulk.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I use washed river sand from one of those stone yards in my large-ish coop and run. [​IMG]

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

They even have truck you can rent for $20 if you need to.

I have mine delivered in a dump truck.

7. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Anyone that hauls dirt can bring you some. concrete quarries can locate or give you the name of a hauler and they will have sand there too.

Scott

8. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    ALSO ID LOOK FOR PLAY SAND. it usually is silica free.

Scott

9. Lonesome Dough

Lonesome Dough Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2017
    SC Mpntana
    Look under "sand and gravel" in the yellow pages. Most material yards will either deliver a dump truck load or if you need only a small amount load your pickup with a front end loader. And if you need a really small amount take a stack of 5 gallon buckets and shovel your own. I'm going to get a truck load of 3/4" road mix because I have a couple muddy areas around the water trough and a couple driveway approached that need filling and few wheelbarrow loads will make a nice hard pack but drainable floor in my coop.

10. sellersV

sellersV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    I found river sand at one place but it resembled beach sand , that seemed like it would be too fine without enough grit . Is it suppose to look like that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by