Help - Where to buy Thai Yellow Curry Paste - Or Reccomend A Brand

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nifty-Chicken, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

My wife and I love Indian food and Thai food. She's pretty much mastered our favorite Indian food dish (chicken makhani / butter chicken) and now we're looking to master our other favorite dish: Thai yellow curry.

Even with the diversity of international grocery stores we can't find Thai Yellow Curry Paste anywhere. I'm happy to buy some online, but don't want to commit to a case unless we know it will turn out to taste similar to what we get in the restaurants.

So, does anybody have any ideas on where to buy it and/or what brands to look for?

Thanks!

2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    geesh, y'all out to have a co-op near you - try them, they have a brand, i forget what its called, that's pretty decent. google ncga or co-op to find one.

3. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Have you ever tried Rogan Josh curry paste? Yummy yum yum! I love indian food too. [​IMG] The only places I can find it are at Choices food market, or Marketplace IGA. Not sure if you guys have those grocery stores in the states though.

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I found most of my more obscure Indian spices, etc. at Lunardi's just up the street from you. Otherwise, there are tons of Indian groceries in Berkeley.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I don't know about yellow- I live for Panang!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

6. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
  7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thanks all! If you know brands that you like, please post them here.

We've hit all the Indian and Asian grocery that we can find and haven't had much luck. I called Lunardi's and the nice man was looking forever. He found red curry paste and a few other items, but not a single "thai yellow curry paste" [​IMG]

My quest continues....

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Are there any restaurants by you that sell that dish on their menu? If so, maybe they will sell you some of their sauce??

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  9. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Nifty, I'll check at our local Asian supermarket, I know I bought yellow there before..........I'll let you know tomorrow what I find.wish me luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by