HELP! White chicken had a mud bath the day before the show!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ariel301, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I have to take my birds in tomorrow for the county fair. They will be judged on Thursday. One of them is a really gorgeous white Old English Bantam pullet, and it looks like today she decided to roll around in the ducks' mud pit. Argh. I gave her a really thorough bath, but she is still dirty colored, the feathers are stained. Any ideas on getting her sparkly white again quick? I didn't have a good cage to separate my show birds into earlier, they just had to run with the flock until today when I could bathe and cage them up in a borrowed cage. Next year, I am NOT showing any white birds!

2. Dylan's Silkies

Dylan's Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Virginia
    Hey, go get a horse shampoo called Cowboy Magic. It works really well. I just bathed a bunch of dirty white silkies a few weeks ago with it and most of the stains disappeared.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Thanks! I don't know why I didn't think of that, I used to have a white/gray horse that would get stained and nasty, and that is what I used.

4. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Maybe the whitening shampoo for dogs? I just got some to try on my white silkie... but havent gotten around to it!
    I think it's Hartz, bought it at TSC for about 4.00

5. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So I have a pure white purebred pitbull...and apparently that = some sensative skin...so I asked the vet he said the basic head and shoulders...and guess what she ends up back to her pearly white everytime without irritating her delicate skin

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I know someone, who shows white birds, who uses chalk. It comes in a spray can from the livestock grooming aisle of farm stores. I believe it is commonly used on cattle. Good luck!

7. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    You might try bluing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by