Help! White Rock chicks . . . meat birds vs. layers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by clacasse88, Aug 18, 2010.

1. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I have way too many layer chicks and have decided to switch my White Rocks into meat birds. They are 11 weeks & 6 weeks. I had them on chick starter & grower & just switched them to finisher feed. Do I need to put them on any different type of feeding schedule? I've read something about feeding them for 12 hours and then removing the feed. What is the reason for this?

Is there anything else I should be aware of or need to know to get this chicks ready? Sorry, this is the first time with meat birds.

Thanks for your help!

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

If you have White Rocks you don't have to do the 12 on 12 off feeding program. That is mainly for the super fast growing Cornish X Cross meat chickens. The cornish cross gain weight faster than the bones and heart can keep up.
    White rocks will take a few weeks longer to reach market weight but you shouldn't have the health problems you would have with Cornish cross.
    Good luck.

3. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    If you wouldn't mind, would you post some pics and let us watch them finish out? I am interested in seeing how big the WR will get in the right conditions. Mine were on 20% crumble from 10 weeks to 17 weeks and they fattened up pretty good for that age. Mine are layers though so I backed them down to 16% at 17 weeks. I would love to see how big they would get if I left them on the higher protein.

When I go to feed and water them in the morning I always think, "Man you girls better lay really well, because if you don't you look more and more delicious every day!".

4. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:Ok. I'll take a few pics. this morning for starters and post when they are ready!

5. clacasse88

Sep 13, 2009
    Quote:That's the answer I was looking for! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by