HELP: White warts--6 weeks & still there??!? and Where to put chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpeckledHills, Apr 18, 2009.

1. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    One of my roos in my "large chickens" coop has had white warts growing on his comb for about 6 weeks. There are 5 hens and 1 other roo in with him. 1 of the hens & the other roo have shown signs of possibly minor warts, but that's all.
    I assume it's pigeon pox. I found a dead pigeon in their run that had been picked at (though I'm not positive it had been there prior to the warts showing up. I was rarely letting them out & didn't look into the snowy run often).
    Does anyone know of any other diseases that have white warts as a symptom?
    Also, I have some 6-week old babies that are starting to fly out of the box in my house and need to be moved SOMEWHERE.
    Choices:
    1. Move the large chickens into a big new coop that's almost ready. Spray their old coop with disinfectant. Wait a day or two. Move the youngsters into the old coop.
    2. Make a partition in the big new coop and put the babies in it alongside the large chickens. Maybe line the bottom of the partition with cardboard to help provide disease barrier?
    Please give advice! Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Anyone?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I haven't the faintest idea. If you feel it is pigeon pox, whatever that is, why not do whatever one does for this. Meanwhile, this will bump your post.

4. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Later update:
    The white "warts" turned out to be clumps of mite gunk. When a chicken has tons of Northern fowl mites, these clumps can get built up. Northern fowl mites can go unnoticed on your chickens quite easily. These white "warts" can be a helpful alert!
    One of my roosters unfortunately got so many mites he got anemic & died before I realized the problem. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by