HELP!!! Why are my always eating?!?!?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickcrazzy, Aug 15, 2014.

1. chickcrazzy

chickcrazzy Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Usa
    They never stop eating!! I put unlimited food out in their run and they never stopped eating, I ended up having to buy another 50 lb bag of feed in just 3 days :0 I'm going to be gone for a day and I was wanting to keep a bunch of feed for them to last for the day but I'm afraid they won't have some the next day since they would prob eat it all :(

2. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    How many chickens are you feeding?! A 50# bag is gone in 3 days?

3. chickcrazzy

May 17, 2014
    Usa
    I have 20 of them btw

4. chickcrazzy

May 17, 2014
    Usa
    And I meant to put 30 not 50!

5. chickcrazzy

May 17, 2014
    Usa
    Omg I' so sorry!! I have a lot of typeos I meant 30 days!!! Haha not 3

6. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    I have 22 who have managed to eat a 50# bag in just *9* days...I am in disbelief...and they FREE RANGE for about 6-8 hours a day! Obviously I am raising pigs, not chickens. :)

7. chickcrazzy

May 17, 2014
    Usa
    Haha yes I think I bought pigs instead! Haha any suggestions on how to calm them done on the food??

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Depending on the kind of chickens they should eat .25-.33 lbs. per day/chicken. For 20 chickens that would be 150-198 lbs. per 30 days if they are not getting anything else. 50 lbs. in 30 days is not enough food if that is what you are saying they ate.

9. crystalire

crystalire Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    I have 10 chickens and I'm surprised at how much they eat!

10. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    No where in this thread do I see that anyone has said how old their chickens are or what they are. It's hard to advise with so little info. Cindy in PA has it right IF they are grown layers which without info to the contrary one would assume. Here's a thought though, are you feeding ONLY your chickens or all the birds, rats, mice and whatever can get into the feed? After I built a treadle feeder, I found I used much less feed, surprise, surprise. And the wild birds, sparrows and starlings, quit coming into the chicken house. Regards, Woody

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by