1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

HELP! Why are they pulling her feathers out?? :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmwright, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    I noticed this afternoon that my wynadotte is missing lots of tail feathers. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that she is missing a lot of feathers around her neck and some on her back. I put the whole flock outside and watched 2 of them constantly pick at her. What is this behavior? Is something wrong with her and they are picking at her because she's sick? Right now my daughter is holding her on the bed and her eyes are closed. Poor little thing. What does this mean and what do I do for her? Should I separate her fro the others? I feel horrible!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010

2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    How many chicks do you have and what are the measurements of your brooder?
    Edited to say: maybe you could separate her with 2 other chicks that do not pick on her that way when you reintroduce she will have to buddies to stand up for her and the flock will usually not go after one if you are reintroducing a larger number.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    I tried to separate them, but whenever I do that they all freak out. They peep really loud and try and fly out of their brooders to get back together. If I separate them, will they eventually stop peeping? Should I put them far away from eachother? If I put the two brooders right next to eachother, naturally they can see/hear eachother. Maybe if I put them in different areas that won't happen?

4. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Do you have a couple other chicks in with the one that is getting pecked on? Are they still peeping for each other When they can still she each other from different brooders?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by