HELP!!!! Why did they stop laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiffu22, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tiffu22

tiffu22 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    I have 14 hens 2 years old, several different kinds. They slowed way down and then stopped laying about 2 months ago. I know some where molting but now I don't know what is going on. I just wormed them about a week ago and no signs of mite or lice.There was a rat in the coop about a month ago but caught it. nothing else has changed.

2. chickenraiser24

chickenraiser24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2015
    Some chickens only lay for 1-2 years. It sounds like they just stopped laying from age.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Mine stopped for a couple months in late autumn and into winter this year but they started up finally again in spring. They are the same age as yours.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The lack of eggs is perfectly normal for your flock. You have older hens that have hit the 18 month-2 year molt. To compound that is the rapidly decreasing day length. They will start up again once the days get longer, though they will likely lay fewer eggs than they did when just a year old. You could use artificial lighting to try to get them to start sooner. Having 12+ hours of light will trigger them to start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by