1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, why does 14 wk old banty roo rip pullet shoulder feathers out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kelly12, Aug 28, 2011.

1. kelly12

kelly12 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Greetings!

I am new to the byc forum! This is my first post.

I have a flock of 14 week old varied breeds. Have had them since they were day olds. They are ALL adorable and up till now have gotten along wonderfully. Eeny (our golden-laced cochin banty) started crowing about 4 weeks ago and has established himself as THE man over the entire flock including our 10 pullets and one late comer a 10 week old chantecler male. Lately he has been grabbing the shoulders of the other chickens and while they squawk and try to run away he rips out a chunk of their feathers. [​IMG] Once I saw him pick up one of the feathers as it drifted to the ground and actually eat (swallow) the entire feather! Until I saw him eat the feather I thought this was just normal dominant behaviour. Does anyone know if this is normal and if I should be worrying about it or not? He is (like all of them) quite a pet otherwise...they all like to get up in my lap and nap! [​IMG]

Thanks for any feedback on my charming dozen!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by