1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Why isn't my astrolop laying she is 8 months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach hens, Nov 27, 2013.

1. beach hens

beach hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    MB
    She is 8 months old and all the other girls are laying. Could some one help please!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    can you post a pic of her? is her comb bright and red and will she do the submissive squat? also do you free range your chickens,, if so she might have a secret nest somewhere.. and are you sure she is a hen and not a rooster?

3. beach hens

Sep 16, 2013
    MB
    She won't do the squat but she does free range. Also my backyard isn't to big. There aren't too many hiding spots in there. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope this helps

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    How do you know for sure that she isn't laying? For example, is she your only brown-egg-laying hen?

5. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    her comb doesn't look red enough yet. does she do the submissive squat?

6. beach hens

Sep 16, 2013
    MB
    No and no

7. beach hens

Sep 16, 2013
    MB
    The reson I know she is not laying is bacause we will find only one brown egg in the coop and the other is to small. Also not to mention the ereen eggs from my Easter egger. Since we only have four hens that are needing to lay eggs, if that makes any sence.

8. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    if she is not doing the submissive squat she is not really to lay yet. some breeds can take longer to mature than others especially if it is cold and the days are short when they come into lay. I have some that are 7 1/2 months old that still aren't laying yet.

9. beach hens

Sep 16, 2013
    MB
    BTW
    There is a more rencent pic

[​IMG]

10. BorneHomestead

Oct 10, 2013
    she looks close to laying if she isn't already. if you really think she is laying and just aren't seeing her eggs you may want to put her in a crate with food and water and see if she lays. it may take a couple of days but its the best way to know for sure. i have had hens lay in a bucket of hay, fly over a 6ft fence and lay next to our garage only to pace the gate to be let back in, in vehicles if the windows are left open, under brush, in my kids play house. they will find the weirdest places to lay some times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by