HELP; wild baby kit.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheOLDNewChick, May 27, 2008.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Okay, so dilemma. My boyfriend just called, and said his dog drug up a baby kit (rabbit). He can't tell me how old he thinks it is, but it's eyes are still closed and it's not moving very much. I told him to keep it warm for now until they can find someone to take care of it. Say they want to try and raise it themselves, what would they feed it as far as a milk supplement. Puppy formula with an eyedropper, maybe?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Poor little thing.....Tonight - warmth, quiet, comfy stress free environment (e.g. a dog carrier with nice bedding and in a room where there is no traffic). The stress it has already endured may well kill it.

If still alive in the morning you can call any good wildlife rehab facility for advice. You can round up numbers on line tonight....I wouldn't administer anything by mouth until a rehabber from a facility or here on line indicates what would work.

Hoping the little babe pulls through.....

JJ

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Baby kits can be difficult to raise, but you can do it with either dog or cat milk replacer, I can't remember which one it is. The can should tell you which one to use for rabbits. I too used an eye dropper. What ever you have the baby in (box, cat carrier, etc) put half way on a heating pad. If the baby gets too warm it will wiggle to the area that is not on the heating pad and vice versa. I raised 5 baby jackrabbits before and had great success and was able to release all of them back on the farm (against my fathers wishes). Good luck, becasue yours is so small, it doesn't know to be afraid of you yet, so you have that going for you.

4. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Well, I guess the little fellow is about two or three weeks old. Eyes opened day before yesterday, he's moving around, hopping in his box and quite friendly and curious. Been feeding him goats milk and he seems to be doing great.

If you haven't figured it out, they brought the kit to me later that night for me to take care of.

5. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sounds good so far - so glad to hear it!!
    JJ

6. TheOLDNewChick

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    He's a little angel. Thing is, I'll be out of town for two days and I'm supposed to leave him with my boyfriend, but I'm being all protective and thinking of not going on my trip because what if he doesn't do something right and something happens?

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It is a very vulnerable time for them....it's good of you to be thinking of the little one......
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by